Wittmann moves from last to win
With a tactical masterpiece and a great driving performance, Team BMW RMG driver Marco Wittmann won the DTM Saturday’s Race 1 at Misano, beating an ultra-strong pole sitter René Rast (Audi). From the very back of the field, the 2014 and 2016 DTM champion made the best use of an early pit-stop and a safety car period to claim the lead.
Rast converted his pole position into the race lead that he only had to surrender during his mandatory pit stop. Audi driver Loïc Duval took the final podium slot in third place. Daniel Juncadella was the best-placed Aston Martin driver in 13th.
Another of the numerous highlights the fifth race of the DTM season was the performance by Andrea Dovizioso. The guest driver from the Audi ranks staged many thrilling position fights. In one of these situations after six laps of racing, he came out on top against three rivals in a thrilling way. At the finish, the runner-up from the MotoGP World Championship was classified twelfth behind rookie Sheldon van der Linde, Timo Glock and Pietro Fittipaldi.
1. Marco Wittmann (GER), BMW, 39 laps in 1h 00m 42.631s
2. René Rast (GER), Audi, + 8.238s
3. Loïc Duval (FRA), Audi, + 17.686s
4. Bruno Spengler (CAN), BMW, + 22.853s
5. Nico Müller (SUI), Audi, + 28.503s
6. Mike Rockenfeller (GER), Audi, + 32.467s
7. Philipp Eng (AUT), BMW), + 44.922s
8. Jonathan Aberdein (RSA), Audi, + 47.238s
9. Sheldon van der Linde (ZAF), BMW, + 48.347s
10. Timo Glock (GER), BMW, + 48.429s