Raikkonen tops day 1 at Jerez
Kimi Raikkonen set the fastest time of 1:27.104 at the end of the first day of pre-season testing at the Jerez de la Frontera track. The Finn – who was back at the wheel of a Ferrari F1 after four years – completed 31 laps with the new F14 T and caused the first 2014 red flag in the morning when the driver was asked to stop the car at the side of the track as a precautionary measure.
Lewis Hamilton crashed on 18th lap at Turn 1 after his Mercedes F1 W05 suffered a front wing failure and was unable to continue. Briton set the second time with a 0.716 gap from Ferrari. Nico Rosberg will be in the car tomorrow.
Valtteri Bottas brought the Williams FW36 in a only testing livery on third. Sergio Perez drove the Sahara Force India VJM07 and finished fifth. Mexican will be back in the car tomorrow, Nico Hulkenberg will drive on Thursday and Daniel Juncadella will get behind the wheel on Friday.
Jean-Eric Verge set the sixt time with the Toro Rosso-Renault ahead of Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber). Sebastian Vettel completed just three installation laps at the end of the day with the Red Bull.
Jerez de la Frontera SPA, January 28th 2014
1. Kimi Raikkonen – Ferrari F14 T – 1:26.104, 31 laps
2. Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes F1 W05 – 1:27.820, 18 laps
3. Valtteri Bottas – Williams-Mercedes FW36 – 1:30.082, 7 laps
4. Sergio Perez – Sahara Force India-Mercedes VJM07 – 1:33:161, 11 laps
5. Jean-Eric Vergne – Toro Rosso-Renault STR9 – 1:35.530, 15 laps
6. Esteban Gutierrez – Sauber-Ferrari C33 – 1:42.257, 7 laps
7. Sebastian Vettel – Red Bull-Renault RB10 – nt, 3 laps
8. Marcus Ericsson – Caterham-Renault CT05 – nt, 1 lap