Super GT
Puncture robs Walkinshaw podium
Photo Credit: Autobacs Racing Team Aguri

Puncture robs Walkinshaw podium

Sean Walkinshaw and Shinichi Takagi experienced extreme misfortune during the fourth round of the Super GT Championship held at the Chang International Circuit, Thailand, on Sunday.

A late-race puncture costed a certain GT300 podium to Autobacs Racing Team Aguri duo. Running in second position with just a couple of laps to go, Walkinshaw was defending his place from an advancing Toyota when the left-rear tyre popped and sent his BMW M6 GT3 off the circuit. Gathering the car back up and pitting for fresh rubber, the British racer eventually took the chequered flag in 11th position.

Having enjoyed an excellent race to that point at the Buriram track, with Takagi performing well in the opening stint from third on the grid, the ARTA duo were justifiably disappointed with the sheer misfortune which cost them the GT300 points lead.

Obviously that wasn’t the way we wanted to end the weekend”, said Walkinshaw, “We had amazing pace in both wet and dry conditions so we were very confident heading into the race, and for most of the race rightly so. Unfortunately, though, two laps from the end, we had a slow puncture and it finally let go. It was devastating for the whole team, especially because we lost our lead in the championship, but the next track we go to is Fuji which is extremely strong for our car.

Lapping 14th fastest in Saturday morning’s tight practice session, just 0.8 seconds shy of the top three, in qualifying later in the day the ARTA BMW ended the run with the third quickest time of 1m32.845 seconds – a mere 0.005 seconds shy of the GT300 front row. Notably too, the top three performance was achieved with the maximum 52kg of success ballast on the car.  Takagi took the opening stint of Sunday’s race and after holding third off the rolling start, the ARTA driver quickly leapfrogged into second position before swarming all over the GT300 leading Audi of Richard Lyons. Staying glued to the Audi lap after lap, Takagi was never more than just a few tenths of a second adrift and even when the GT500 cars began to lap the GT300 leaders, just before one sixth race distance, the Japanese racer swiftly recovered any lost ground.

Getting alongside Lyons on lap 11, Takagi had to tuck back in to second and as the lead duo battled it enabled the third placed Nissan to close in. Running nose-to-tail, there was nothing to split the trio…although there was a heart-in-mouth moment around 10 laps later when two GT500 cars just ahead made contact into Turn One. When Lyons pitted soon after as the first round of mandatory stops began to take place, Takagi moved up into the lead and remained on track to precisely mid-distance when he then pitted to hand over to Walkinshaw. Emerging on track in 10th position, second of the GT300 cars to have stopped, the British racer resisted major pressure from the #60 Lexus as he worked to get the BMW’s tyres up to temperature before opening a gap of roughly a second.

Starting to move up the GT300 order as the rival cars at the front finally started to take their stops at around two-thirds race distance, Walkinshaw climbed into the top five and with less than 20 laps to go he was into third place – still second of those to have pitted. When the GT300 leader eventually stopped, Walkinshaw assumed second place overall and with 15 laps to run he was seven seconds shy of the #11 Nissan but with the No.60 Lexus still very much in close company in third position. Pushing on as the laps counted down, through traffic the gap fluctuated but with just 10 laps to go Walkinshaw had moved to within five seconds of the leader. Then, with only two laps to go, drama – the ARTA BMW had a slow puncture and it eventually let go when Walkinshaw was defending from an advancing Toyota, meaning he had to pit. After rejoining the race with a new Bridgestone tyre, he took the chequered flag just outside the top 10.

Super GT will return to action roughly a month from now, over the weekend 4th/5th August, at Fuji Speedway, in Japan – venue for Walkinshaw and Takagi’s sensational victory back in May during the second round of the season.

Share Button