O’Sullivan claims his second win
Carlin’s championship leader Zak O’Sullivan claimed his second win of the BRDC British F3 season in the first race of the weekend at Donington Park. The 16–year-old led from lights to flag, having secured the pole position in qualifying. He fended off a first lap challenge from Hitech GP’s Reece Ushijima, and then built a strong advantage of nearly five seconds to claim victory.
An opening lap battle between O’Sullivan and Ushijima was the main focal point of the opening race. O’Sullivan’s start wasn’t quite as good as Ushijima’s, with the Japanese driver holding the lead on the approach to Redgate.
The Hitech driver out braked himself though, allowing O’Sullivan to draw alongside on the run down the Craner Curves. The pair briefly interlocked wheels, but the Carlin driver was just able to sneak up the inside at the Old Hairpin. From there, the championship leader was able to build a gap, leading by 1.4 seconds at the end of the first lap, three seconds at the halfway point, and 4.9 seconds at the chequered flag.
Ushijima claimed second to strengthen his championship charge, while Arden Motorsport‘s Alex Connor secured his second successive podium with third.
BRDC British F3 Championship, Donington Park qualifying top-five
1. Zak O’Sullivan, Carlin, 1m24.690s
2. Reece Ushijima, Hitech GP, +0.333s
3. Alex Connor, Arden Motorsport, +0.342s
4. Bart Horsten, Hitech GP, +0.364s
5. Javier Sagrera, Elite Motorsport, +0.439s
BRDC British F3 Championship, Donington Park race one top-five
1. Zak O’Sullivan, Carlin, 12 laps
2. Reece Ushijima, Hitech GP, +4.918s
3. Alex Connor, Arden Motorsport, +6.638s
4. Roman Bilinksi, Arden Motorsport, +9.798s
5. Christian Mansell, Carlin, +11.701s
BRDC British F3 Championship, top-five drivers’ standings after race seven of 24
1. Zak O’Sullivan, Carlin, 184pts
2. Reece Ushijima, Hitech GP, 172pts
3. Alex Connor, Arden Motorsport, 109pts
4. Christian Mansell, Carlin, 102pts
5. Roberto Faria, Fortec Motorsports, 97pts