Kobayashi claims Hypercar pole
Kamui Kobayashi took the pole position for tomorrow’s Total 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, 2021 FIA WEC opener. The Japanese, driving a Toyota Gazoo Racing GR010-Hybrid claimed the first ever pole position and point for a Hypercar categorised entry as he set the quickest time in 2:00.747s ahead of sister car of Kazuki Nakajima by 0.519s.
The third Hypercar entered package of Alpine Elf Matmut didn’t set a time after a technical issue compromised Andre Negrao during the new 10-minute qualifying format.
Kevin Estre took a brilliant LMGTE Pro pole position in the Porsche GT Team 911 RSR-19 after scorching to a best lap of 2:11.219s. In Estre’s wake was the AF Corse Ferrari 488 GTE EVO driven by Miguel Molina, who was compromised initially by having his first push lap effort struck off for a track limit violation.
Richard Lietz claimed third place driving another Porsche, ahead of Alessandro Pier Guidi’s Ferrari. Antonio Garcia completed the Pro class order after setting a 2:13.106 lap in the Chevrolet Corvette C8.R he will share with Oliver Gavin.
In LMP2, Filipe Albuquerque continued his scintillating free practice form to take a clear pole position in the United Autosports USA entered Oreca-Gibson. The reigning champions lapped 0.5s faster than the G-Drive Racing Aurus 01 driven by Nyck de Vries, although the Dutch looked to be mounting a challenge on his final lap but ultimately had to settle for a front-row start.
The LMGTE Am class fell to Ben Keating in the TF Sport Aston Martin Vantage after he put in a superb performance with a 2:14.660 best lap. That beat Aston Martin Racing entry of Paul Dalla Lana by just under a second. Two separate incidents at Raidillon saw red flags fly with the Dempsey Proton causing the first, while Egidio Perfetti’s Team Project 1 Porsche had a similar off. Both drivers were able to walk away unharmed from the sizeable impacts.
FIA WEC – 6H Spa-Francorchamps
Qualifying, 30 April 2021
1. M. Conway / K. Kobayashi / J. Lopez (Toyota Gazoo Racing) 2:00.747 HYPERCAR
2. S. Buemi / K. Nakajima / B. Hartley (Toyota Gazoo Racing) 2:01.266 HYPERCAR
3. P. Hanson / F. Scherer / F. Albuquerque (United Autosports USA) 2:02.404 LMP2
4. A. Negrão / N. Lapierre / M. Vaxiviere (Alpine Elf Matmut) 2:02.652 HYPERCAR
5. R. Rusinov / F. Colapinto / N. De Vries (G-Drive Racing) 2:02.984 LMP2
6. F. Van Eerd / G. Van Der Garde / J. Van Uitert (Racing Team Nederland) 2:03.435 LMP2
7. E. Garcia / L. Duval / N. Nato (Realteam Racing) 2:03.475 LMP2
8. J. Falb / R. Andrade / R. Merhi (G-Drive Racing) 2:03.485 LMP2
9. S. Gelael / S. Vandoorne / T. Blomqvist (Jota) 2:03.516 LMP2
10. R. Gonzalez / A. Da Costa / A. Davidson (Jota) 2:03.625 LMP2
11. H. Hedman / J. Montoya / B. Hanley (DragonSpeed USA) 2:03.816 LMP2
12. P. Kelly / G. Aubry / S. Trummer (PR1 Motorsports) 2:03.869 LMP2
13. R. Frijns / F. Habsburg / C. Milesi (Team WRT) 2:03.915 LMP2
14. J. Smiechowski / R. Van Der Zande / A. Brundle (Inter Europol Competition) 2:04.207 LMP2
15. T. Calderon / S. Floersch / B. Visser (Richard Mille Racing Team) 2:05.284 LMP2
16. J. Magnussen / A. Fjordbach / D. Andersen (High Class Racing) 2:05.522 LMP2
17. M. Konopka / T. Jackson / D. Burke (ARC Bratislava) 2:07.051 LMP2
18. K. Estre / N. Jani (Porsche GT Team) 2:11:219 LMGTE Pro
19. D. Serra / M. Molina (AF Corse) 2:12.351 LMGTE Pro
20. G. Bruni / R. Lietz (Porsche GT Team) 2:12.370 LMGTE Pro
21. A. Pier Guidi / J. Calado (AF Corse) 2:12.443 LMGTE Pro
22. A. Garcia / O. Gavin (Corvette Racing) 2:13.106 LMGTE Pro
23. B. Keating / D. Pereira / F. Fraga (TF Sport) 2:14.660 LMGTE Am
24. P. Dalla Lana / A. Farfus / M. Gomes (Aston Martin Racing) 2:15.615 LMGTE Am
25. A. Haryanto / M. Seefried / A. Picariello (Dempsey – Proton Racing) 2:16.319 LMGTE Am
26. T. Flohr / F. Castellacci / G. Fisichella (AF Corse) 2:16.367 LMGTE Am
27. F. Perrodo / N. Nielsen / A. Rovera (AF Corse) 2:17.560 LMGTE Am
28. R. Lacorte / G. Sernagiotto / A. Fuoco (Cetilar Racing) 2:17.719 LMGTE Am
29. R. Frey / K. Legge / M. Gostner (Iron Lynx) 2:18.452 LMGTE Am
30. M. Wainwright / B. Barker / T. Gamble (GR Racing) 2:18.813 LMGTE Am
31. C. Schiavoni / A. Piccini / M. Cressoni (Iron Lynx) 2:20.356 LMGTE Am
32. E. Perfetti / M. Cairoli / R. Pera (Team Project 1) – LMGTE Am
33. C. Ried / J. Evans / M. Campbell (Dempsey – Proton Racing) – LMGTE Am
34. S. Hoshino / T. Fujii / A. Watson (D’Station Racing) – LMGTE Am