Button (McLaren) fastest on day 2
Jenson Button topped a half wet day of pre-season Formula 1 testing at Jerez, despite the McLaren MP4-29 missed to head out on Tuesday due to an electrical issue. Button set the best time with a 1:24.165 in the afternoon completing 43 laps and testing an innovative rear suspension design.
Kimi Raikkonen’s Ferrari F14 T ended up second, covering 15 laps with wet weather tyres in the morning doing some practice starts. The Williams of Valtteri Bottas was third as yesterday. Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg completed 97 laps without problems, after the first day front wing failure on the Lewis Hamilton’s car.
Mexican Sergio Perez stopped his Force India at Turn 1 in the afternoon and brought out the second red flag of the day after the Sauber of Esteban Gutierrez went off. Problems forced to the pit Toro Rosso. Marcus Ericcson (Caterham) and Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) completed 19 laps in total. Current world champion managed just eight laps before a battery problem stopped him.
Jerez de la Frontera SPA, January 29th 2014
1. Jenson Button – McLaren-Mercedes MP4-29 – 1: 24.165, 43 laps
2. Kimi Raikkonen – Ferrari F14 T – 1: 24.812, 47 laps
3. Valtteri Bottas – Williams-Mercedes FW36 – 1:25.344, 35 laps
4. Nico Rosberg – Mercedes F1 W05 – 1:25.588, 97 laps
5. Sergio Perez – Sahara Force India-Mercedes VJM07 – 1:28.376, 37 laps
6. Esteban Gutierrez – Sauber-Ferrari C33 – 1:33.270, 53 laps
7. Marcus Ericsson – Caterham-Renault CT05 – 1:37.975, 11 laps
8. Sebastian Vettel – Red Bull-Renault RB10 – 1:38.320, 8 laps