Briche’ wins Race 2 at Spa
TCR Europe’s second race at Spa-Francorchamps turned into carnage, with no less than five incidents that were investigated by the Stewards, plus a number of contacts and a couple of suspected jump-starts. Eventually Julien Briché was the toughest guy on the track and scored a third consecutive Race 2 win that propelled him to the top of the standings. Jimmy Clairet finished second, claiming his first podium result in the series and completing a Peugeot 1-2.
Mat’o Homola benefited from the battles that eliminated a few people in front of him to be classified third ahead of the charging Andreas Bäckman and Ashley Sutton. Many top drivers paid for the fighting spirit that pervaded the whole field: Dániel Nagy, Stian Paulsen, Natan Bihel, Dušan Borković and Tom Coronel were all sent off by other drivers, though some of them had hit before being hit.
Gilles Magnus, the winner of Saturday’s Race 1 who was leading the standings, retired on the penultimate lap after making contact with Santiago Urrutia.
The next event of TCR Europe will be at the Red Bull Ring in Austria, on July 12/14.
1. Julien Briché (JSB Compétition, Peugeot 308), 9 laps
2. Mat’o Homola (Target Competition, Hyundai i30 N), 3.051
3. Andreas Bäckman (Target Competition, Hyundai i30 N), 3.349
4. Ashley Sutton (Team WRT, Volkswagen Golf GTI), 3.706
5. Aurélien Comte (DG Sport Compétition, Peugeot 308), 4.080
1. Briché 147 pts; 2. Magnus 134; 3. Comte 123